The Baloch Human Rights Council (BHRC) has gathered data on the cases of enforced disappearance in Balochistan during the month of January in 2022. According to the data gathered from various sources, there has been an unprecedented increase of enforced disappearances by the Pakistani authorities aiming to silence the dissenting voices in Balochistan.
Like in many conflict-ridden areas of the world, Balochistan is hit with a major media blackout, independent observers including the international media and human rights organizations are barred from entering Balochistan or to ascertain the facts in the region. Families of the victims of enforced disappearance are threatened of serious consequences if they report the cases of their missing member. The BHRC is well aware that by doing so, the Pakistani authorities want to keep the world in dark about their crimes against humanity in Balochistan. As a result of these measures, the BHRC also faces many barriers in finding about or reporting the cases of enforced disappearance. Therefore, the total number of such cases may very well be higher than gathered by the BHRC.
Enforced disappearances in Balochistan during January 2022
- On January 1, 2022, Frontier corps abducted Doulat son of Hassan from village Hironk, District Kech.
- On January 2, 2022, Saraj Baloch son of Saleh was killed by gunmen affiliated with security forces in Buleda District Kech.
- On January 3, 2022, Abdurrehman son of Murad was abducted by gunmen belonging to security forces in District Panjgur. On the same day, security forces abducted two brothers namely Sattar son of Amir Bux and Mumtaz son of Amir Bux from District Panjgur. On the same day Sajid son of Abid of village Kunshkalat, District Kech was also picked by the security forces.
- On January 6, 2022, Khan Muhammad Marri from District Kohlu disclosed to the media that eight members from his family are being kept in a personal prison of provincial minister Abdurrehman Khetran. The persons in the private jail of the provincial minister were named as Farzana, Abdul Sattar, Abdul Ghaffar, Muhummad Umran, Muhammad Nawaz, Abdul Majid and Abdul Qadir.
- On January 6, 2022, security forces abducted two persons from an hospital in District Naseerabad. The names of the abducted are Kalandar son of Lolha Bugti and Marshala son of Aziz Bugti.
- On January 7, 2022, Security forces abducted a young person Ahmad Mullazai son of Muhammad Ashraf Mullahzai from District Kharan. On the same day (January 7, 2022) Mahmud son of Rahmat was picked up by unknown persons known to be affiliated with the security forces from District Panjgur.
- On January 8, 2022, two bodies were recovered from Quetta and Zhob districts of Balochistan. The locals believe that dumping of bodies are part of the kill and dump policy of army’s death squads operating in conjunction with security forces.
- On January 10, 2022, Usman Son of Liaqat from Mand, District Kech was taken away by the security forces.
- On January 11, 2022, unknown persons abducted three person from Hingol and District Kech. Abducted were named as Bahad son of Yaakoob and Mia sabzal and Ilyas.
- On January 12, 2022, two dead bodies were found in Hub, District Bela. The dead bodies are believed to be of missing persons and part of the kill and dump policy of the Pakistani army in Balochistan.
- On January 13, 2022, seven persons were abducted by security forces from Panjgur and Kech districts. They are named as Yusuf son of Haji Akber, Haji Washdil, Muhammad Shuab, Muhammad Munir, Shakeel Ahmad and Hamoodi son of Naseer Ahmad.
- On January 13, 2022, an elderly man named Ibrahim son of Ghulam Muhammad of village pirandar, District Awaran was picked up by security personnel.
- On January 14, 2022, Hafiz son of Abdul Qadir was abducted by people known to be affiliated with the security agencies from the Chitkan village of District Panjgur. On the same day, four persons namely Bilal son of Inayattulah, Jahanzeb son of Musa, Didag son of Attaullah and Obaid son of Wazir had been abducted by security agencies.
- On January 15, 2022, two mutilated dead bodies of unidentified persons were recovered from Hub, District Bela. Generally, these bodies in the past were recognised by relatives of the missing persons as their loved ones.
- On January 17, 2022, the disappearance of four persons have been reported in the Kech District. Persons who have been disappeared were named as Riaz son of Fateh Muhammad, Nisar son of Fateh Muhammad, Mudi son of Kahoda Sohrab and Bashaam.
- On January 21, 2022, disappearance of an elderly person Abul Hasan son of yar Muhammad has been reported. He was arrested during the raid in the surrounding areas of Turbat, District Kech.
- On January 23 , 2022, the dead body of Niamatullah son of Arz Muhammad who was picked by security agencies on January 17 was found in the Kadkoocha area of District Mastung.
- On January 24, 2022 six persons were reported to have been picked up and made disappeared by the security agencies in Kech and Awaran districts. Forced disappeared persons were named as Mahboob son of Sheran, Salim son of Wali Dad, Sudir son of Ali Bakhsh, Nadim son of Salim, Dad Rahman son of Abdul Rahman, and Karim Bakhsh son of Wajo.
- On January 28, 2022, Ali Jan Shopkeeper of Tazia, District Chagai was killed by the members of a death squad.
- On January 30, 2022, two brothers from Zehri District Khuzdar became victims of disappearance phenomenon. They were named as Samiullah and Sawad Khan (sons of Naseer Ahmad). On the same day Zakir son of Taj Muhammad was also picked up by the security agencies from District Quetta.